Thursday, October 05, 2006

10/5/06

Hunted for a few hours today. Started about 2. When I left the sun was shining and it was hot. By the time I got to the WMA, the sky was grey and looked like rain.

I started at the back of Gibbs road, where I saw all of the sign last time out. I saw a turkey along the road while driving back, but no deer. The cloud cover made the temperature perfectly cool.

I left the stand at home and brought a bucket for a seat. I still hunted all the way down the ridge. The field has been mowed. I saw no deer. Finally at the bottom of the ridge, I sat at the edge of the small clearing between the two big fields. Both of which were mowed. Saw lots of birds...chickadees, red birds, towees, and several small sparrows. One sparrow was small and bright green? Birds were calling everywhere including a crow.

After about an hour, I heard a tractor coming. I got up and moved on. The tractor went on to begin seeding the recently mowed field.

When I got back to the jeep, I ran into Randy Cromer and another TWRA agent (Randy is the head of the Cheatham WMA). He apologized for the tractor possibly messing me up. I said it was alright, I was ready to move anyway. He said I would thank him in two weeks when the wheat was up. He said they jumped a deer about a 100 yards back as he was showing the TWRA agent were a large persimmon tree used to be - before the area was logged over the summer. Said the persimmon tree was a great bow hunting spot.

I told him I was heading up to the field off Wiley Pardue planted with the cabbage like plants...he said it was a good spot. It was planted with Bio-Logic and recently sprayed to kill Johnson grass.

I headed that way. Hunted there all afternoon, but saw nothing. The weather looked like it would unleash a rain storm - flash flood style at any moment. But it never did, so I figured it would be an afternoon of scary clouds, but no real rain. I was right - and it was a good thing, because the jeep has no top! It was covered with a tarp, so I could hole up inside until the monsoon passed if I needed to.

It was disappointing to sit there all afternoon and see no critters. The only positive light was on the way out, about 50 yards from where I was sitting, I found a sizable ground scrape and two rubs. One of the rubs was on a good sized cedar tree. I was sure deer used this field and this is the proof.

I got home without getting wet. Although, it appeard to be misting rain off in the distance most of the afternoon. Also, the jeep tarp was wet and the road was wet. I guess the canopy of tree leaves kept me dry - the rain was never stronger than a mist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home