Sunday, January 15, 2006

Windy Deer Hunting In Ohio 1-14-06

January 14, 2006

Saturday Morning.

Arrived in Hamilton about 12 or 1 am. It was blowing snow and about 34 degrees for most of the travel time.

Sunrise was 6:57 central time. I was on my way to the back field at about 5:30.

I was planning to stand down wind from the center path in the back Christmas tree field. I know this is a travel route - I saw three does using this trail on the weekend before Christmas. I stood next to a cedar tree until about 8:30.

I saw no deer.

The wind was blowing probably between 20 and 30 miles per hour. Large trees were swaying, big limbs were shaking. An arrow would not fly straight for long in these conditions. Wind was cutting through my gloves, which made it difficult to keep hands warm. After awhile I resolved to lay by bow on the ground and keep my hands in my pants pockets.

I was standing 30 paces from the trail I expected to see deer following. It would have been a good range for the first sight pin.

By 8:30 central time, I called it quits and headed for the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home